Friday, August 19, 2011

RIP Ruby

Anybody who knows me knows I'm a little bit of a hoarder and very sentimental.

A few days ago, my very first new car and the car that I drove to TCU for four years was involved in an accident and totaled by the new owner's insurance company.

Me and Ruby, Feb 2010

Ruby and I came together in July of 2006. I was at the height of my obsession with the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack and loved the song Ruby Blue by Roisin Murphy.

I can't tell you how many times this song graced Ruby's speakers, but eventually I named my car after the song.

We had a memorable four years driving around Fort Worth. One of my first Fort Worth memories with Ruby is getting lost with my neighbor Hannah looking for a Dairy Queen. We drove all over town looking for one because I wanted a blizzard really bad. We were unsuccessful, but decided to get frosties at Wendy's instead.

The first time I drove Ruby to camp was the summer of 2007. To leave on your night off, counselors have to drive near where one of the tribes lines up for Tribe Hill. One of my nights off, one of my campers, Luisa, and another camper in the same age group saw me and made a wonderful song out of my license plate number and sang it to me the next day at breakfast. "609NPD!" But it stuck with me and that's how I learned what my plate was.

Ruby was a great car and she will be missed. I'm hoping to get one of her plates for sentimental value in the next week...

No comments: