Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Remember That Time?

And now for what I'd like to call "Fire Alarm Nostalgia."

According to my campers' twitter accounts, TCU decided it was a good night to test the fire alarms. Their tweets reminded me of the two most memorable fire alarms in my two years on campus and naturally, I thought it'd make a great blog post.

Freshman year, I lived in an all girls dorm (which has since been renovated and made co-ed). I got so lucky, getting along very well with my roomie and most of our immediate neighbors. One of our neighbors was sweet, and we got along with her, but she was definitely a ditz. We may or may not have written down a few of the things she said because we found them HILARIOUS despite her being completely serious when she said them.

One Friday night our fire alarm went off no less than 4 times in about an hour and a half. After the third time we could smell pop corn, although it was definitely not burnt. On our way down the stairs (my freshman dorm didn't have an elevator, not that you're supposed to use those in fire "emergencies" anyway and we were on the second of three floors), we overheard our neighbor say quite loudly, "Someone must be baking popcorn again!"

We thought this was hilarious. Why? No one bakes popcorn. You microwave it, duh. Wouldn't the fire alarm most definitely be going off if someone threw popcorn in the oven?

Sophomore year, I moved into the dorm next door which had previously been all-girls but starting that year would be co-ed by floor (girls on first and third, boys on second). Well, one night at about 1:30 am, the fire alarm went off. Then again at 2:30. Rumor had it, a drunken frat boy had decided it was a good idea to play with the fire extinguisher in the kitchen on the second floor. That foam/dust from the foam automatically makes the fire alarm go off, as we had all discovered in the great YouTube video below.


Video: hilarious. Real life with frat boys at 1:30, 2:30 and 6:30 am: not so much.
So as you can read, the fire alarm went off again at 6:30 when the physical plant workers came to clean up.

So as nostalgic as I may be to relive some of the best years of my life, I do enjoy getting to sleep through the night and not be interrupted throughout the evening, or worse, the night.

That being said, when you live with your best friends, it definitely makes these times way more fun and fun to relive years later!

No comments: