Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hoover Fights Back

So as I'm sure most of you have heard, ABC is canceling two of their soap operas (All My Children and One Life to Live), one of which I happen to be somewhat invested in, thanks unemployment and my mom. Yes, soap operas are somewhat outdated - but how else can I thrive in the drama of others?! Reality TV isn't the same as a good old fashioned scripted drama in the form of day time TV: the soap opera. They're ancient - they were around BEFORE TV, guys. But they have HUGE followings. I personally, really like One Life to Live.


Anyway, Hoover is quite upset about this because their customers are upset. So what are they doing? Pulling their ads from all ABC programming. Can we say AWESOME? If other advertisers do this then this could really make an impact on ABC and they would have to change their minds about the soaps. I'd be much happier with 30 minutes of One Life to Live than none at all.


In addition to pulling their ads from the network, Hoover has set up an e-mail account (mentioned on their facebook page) for the soap lovers to e-mail their feelings and Hoover will make sure ABC receives every single word. It's pretty crazy stuff, but I think it's also pretty awesome.

I guess we'll just have to wait this one out and see if others follow or it blows up in Hoover's face. I hope other advertisers follow in Hoover's footsteps and speak up on behalf of their consumers.

What do you guys think?

1 comment:

not hallie said...

Soap operas need to go!