Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Reading

So if you're like me, summer is a great time to read (except that being unemployed, this whole year has been a great time to read). Last year I read the entire Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series at camp and this year I was excited to try to find another series like that to read at camp. I found it. And it's not quite as intense (graphically) as Dragon Tattoo. The Hunger Games.


These books are amazing. I'm a slow reader and it only took me a little under two weeks to read them (keep in mind I was at camp supervising 13 campers as well as supervising 9 archery classes with girls aged 8 -17 so I couldn't be reading constantly). I couldn't put them down. Really excellent books. And since it is Independence Day I thought I'd be uber grateful for the way our government is currently set up because as Suzanne Collins' series goes, if we continue on our path, it may not be like this in a couple hundred years (I'm guessing - they never say what year it is in the books).

I don't mean to get preachy and certainly not political (I hate politics). But really, these books are fantastic and I highly recommend them to anyone who needs a good summer read. Easy to read and very well written. They're technically young adult books, but I'm still trying to process parts of the books and I'm definitely considered an adult now.

Also, the first movie comes out in March. Jennifer Lawrence has been cast as Katniss and Liam Hemsworth cast as her best friend Gale. I'm pretty excited about this. Get to reading!

No comments: