Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Plight of the Single Girl

Ok, so this is going to be a rant post. I'm being 100% real with the bloggerverse. If you don't want to read my rant, just leave now. If you make it to the end and are annoyed, you were warned and I hereby revoke your ability to leave a mean comment.

I've been single basically my whole life. It's definitely got good aspects and bad aspects. But now that I'm heading into my late 20's (I turn 26 in May), I'm ready to not be single anymore. The problem with this is that I'm insanely selfish.

This isn't an only-child thing, because while I am an only child, I've been single for longer and technically am only half an only child. Random. This is an I've been single so long it's hard to account for people other than myself and my friends thing. It kind of scares me pants-less to think about having to account for someone else's feelings and their friends and their plans.

I held out for a long time that I'd just kind of meet someone and they'd fit seamlessly into my group, but now that I'm in my mid-to-late 20's, that's clearly not going to happen and everyone has their own set of friends and plans. So when I finally do find someone, I'm going to have to meet their friends (not a problem, I like new people) and I'm going to have to make plans with them in advance and not at the drop of a hat. And when I want a girls night, I can't just invite a friend over for movies and brownie(mix)s.

It's so silly, but it's a real thought and I guess, kind of a fear.

I need Lena Dunham to write an episode of Girls about this. And online dating. ASAP. I need her wisdom and wit. I need Shosh or Marnie to adventure out into that world and tell me what to do.

What do you think is the plight of the single girl?

No comments: