Monday, July 23, 2012

Grad School?

Maybe it's not big to y'all, but I've made a fairly big decision recently. I decided this weekend that if our current president is re-elected, I'm going to go to grad school. Even if he's not re-elected, I might still go to grad school, that I'm not so sure on yet.


Anyway, this decision process also includes taking the GRE, obviously. So for those of you out there in the blogosphere that have taken the GRE/gone to grad school I have a question for you (or several, really):
1. How hard should I study?
2. Do you recommend a study book/plan/program?
3. If yes to 2, what?

The first available PAPER test I can take is in November and it's about 45 minutes away from my house (according to Google Maps). But I can always stay in town and go to a testing center for the COMPUTER test. So Question 4. Do you recommend the PAPER or COMPUTER based test?

My undergrad degree is in Advertising and Public Relations. I haven't decided if I'll go ahead and stay with that or just move into general Communications. Today, at this very moment, I'd do Ad/PR. This may be another decision I make based on the election in November.

ANYWAY! I appreciate your help in advance. I'm getting pretty excited/nervous about this decision, especially since I've started vocalizing it to people (makes it more real). I'm hoping to get some more answers from my dad's friend who's helping out little seester with scholarships for college (and hopefully me for grad school, now haha) to get more answers about grad school in general, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I have taken the GRE twice and to be brutally honest I hated it both times. It's a four hour long test where you're staring at a computer the entire time. Blah! I have heard of the paper option but to be honest I think the computer exam would probably make more sense especially when it comes to the essay portion. I definitely recommend studying...a lot. I need to take my own advice on this one haha. It really is worth it if you put the time in to study. Someone told me that you should spend about 2 hours or so a day in 30 minute increments that way you don't kill yourself trying to cram. I bought the Barron's study guide for the GRE. One book had test strategies and multiple practice tests with answers. The other one I bought was a Barron's vocabulary book. It contains the most common words used on the exam with definitions, synonyms, used in a sentence, etc. hope that info helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. It's an annoying exam but when it's finished it feels great! Good luck!

pretty little things said...

Great post! I love your blog and I'm your newest follower! hope you can check me out as well! : )

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/